You can volunteer in one or more of these areas -
Fulfilling, low-cost volunteering opportunities in schools, orphanages, conflict-resolution, micro-credit and healthcare. Free African dance lessons included. Please be quick - spaces are limited. Why choose VIGS?
We need volunteers to teach one or more of Math, Science, English, Citizenship Education, Physical Education, Basic Computing and Information Technology in an African basic school - Elementary or Junior High (middle school). Great program features include full boarding (three meals daily) and comfortable accommodation near your placement site and more. We maintain high standards on all our placements here in Ghana, Africa.
Volunteers can help out at needy orphaned children's homes, or on our community conflict-resolution program or work as officers on our micro-finance programs or as full-time class teachers at lower primary, kindergarten, pre-kindergarten (preschool).
- ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEACHER — Jump to Summary | Full Details
- MATH TEACHER — Jump to Summary | Full Details
- SCIENCE TEACHER — Jump to Summary | Full Details
- CITIZENSHIP EDUCATION TEACHER — Jump to Summary | Full Details
- CLASS TEACHER — Jump to Summary | Full Details
- PRE-KINDERGARTEN TEACHER — Jump to Summary | Full Details
- KINDERGARTEN TEACHER — Jump to Summary | Full Details
- ORPHANAGE ASSISTANT — Jump to Summary | Full Details
- HEALTH-CARE ASSISTANT — Jump to Summary | Full Details
- PHYSICAL EDUCATION TEACHER — Jump to Summary | Full Details
- COMPUTERS AND IT TEACHER — Jump to Summary | Full Details
- ASSISTANT HEAD TEACHER — Jump to Summary | Full Details
- CONFLICT RESOLUTION SCRIBE — Jump to Summary | Full Details
- MICRO-CREDIT OFFICER — Jump to Summary | Full Details
1. VOLUNTEER ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEACHER
Volunteers are urgently needed to teach English as a second language to Ghanaian school children in Primary (Elementary) as well as Junior High schools.
You can choose to teach the language to any one (or more) of eight different classes (or ages). The broad aim of the syllabus is to help the pupil develop the basic language skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing.
2. VOLUNTEER MATH TEACHER
We need volunteers to teach Math to Ghanaian school children in Primary (Elementary) and Junior High schools based on the Ghana basic education curriculum. The Ghana schools math curriculum is designed to help the pupil:
- Develop basic ideas of quantity and space
- Use basic mathematics and necessary strategies for solving problems encountered in daily life by recognizing relationships between numbers
- Reason logically by selecting and applying criteria for classification and generalization
3. VOLUNTEER SCIENCE TEACHER
Volunteers needed to teach Science to Ghanaian school children in Primary (Elementary) and Junior High schools based on the Ghana basic education curriculum. The Science curriculum is designed to help the pupil to:
- Develop the spirit of curiosity, creativity and critical thinking
- Develop skills, habits of mind and attitudes necessary for scientific inquiry
- Develop the spirit of curiosity for investigating and understanding their environment
- Communicate scientific ideas effectively
4. VOLUNTEER CITIZENSHIP EDUCATION TEACHER
Volunteers needed to help school children to: Understand citizenship and community; Analyze critically issues in given situations; Make reasonable decisions in given situations, Explain the term 'Constitution'; Explain how the Constitution is used to govern; Illustrate his/her role in sustaining the constitution; Explain 'Human Rights'; Identify the fundamental human rights and freedoms of the individual; Describe ways in which the rights of the individual can be abused; Explain the need to respect the rights of others; Demonstrate ways of asserting his/her rights; Describe ways of claiming his/her rights etc.
5. VOLUNTEER CLASS TEACHER (FULL TIME)
Class teachers needed for deprived African rural and semi-urban schools. This program is especially suitable for professional teachers and students of teacher-training colleges. As a volunteer class teacher for one of the lower primary classes, you would be in full charge of your class. You'll be teaching all the subjects: English Language, Math, Natural Science, Physical Education and Elementary IT. If you would like to experience how it is to be a full-time teacher in an African country, this program is surely what you need.
6. VOLUNTEER PRE-KINDERGARTEN (NURSERY) TEACHER
We need volunteers to help guide pre-kindergarten school kids to: Listen to and differentiate between sounds in the environment; Make sounds using bottles, coins, bells, drums, shakers and other objects; Help the pre-school kids identify objects and the sounds that the objects make. Children make sounds from objects around them e.g. beating the top of their tables, pulling or pushing chairs, tables, imitating animal sounds bells etc.
7. VOLUNTEER KINDERGARTEN (RECEPTION) TEACHER
Please help the preschool pupils to: Develop their listening skills, Expand their verbal communication skills, Develop reading skills and Acquire reading skills. Some of the activities you'd engage the children in are:
- Guide children to beat time audibly to rhythm during singing and recitation. e.g. clapping, beating on the drum, tapping the feet
- Children imitate actions and sound in selected songs, rhymes and poems
- Guide children to act or dramatize whole /part of songs, rhymes/poems to show understanding and appreciation. Note: songs /Poems/Rhymes should include those on HIV/AIDS, Gender issues and drug related activities
- Maintain children in the orphanage by giving them the necessary care and attention as their mothers would have given them. This is achieved by feeding, bathing and ensuring general cleanliness of the children
- Keep the girl and boys dormitories clean, plan extra-curricular activities, physical education, music and culture, indoor and outdoor games, morning and evening studies, organize excursions and so on
- Organize children for extra-curricular activities such as sports and games etc.
- Organize children fro extra classes after school
- Checking and recording patients vital signs
- Physician's consulting room
- Treating uncomplicated illnesses
10. VOLUNTEER PHYSICAL EDUCATION TEACHER
Ghana needs volunteers to help guide pupils in teacher-deprived schools to perform adequate physical activities:
Activities involving the pushing or putting (throwing) of round objects, e.g. balls, stones stuffed balls, etc.
Activities involving bouncing, hopping, galloping, skipping, arm swinging, etc.
Activities involving skip galloping, pawing, arm swinging, high knee picking, running on the balls of feet, etc.
11. VOLUNTEER COMPUTERS AND IT TEACHER
As Africa pushes to keep up with the digital age, Ghana urgently needs volunteers to help teach her school pupils how to use the computer — including also some of the popular software applications. The volunteer would help the children to:
Practice double-clicking the mouse.
Practice double-clicking to open icons on the desktop.
Use the spacebar and backspace to type words.
Use Games Applications to reinforce mouse skills.
Identify the features on the desktop screen and state their importance.
Type passages using a text editor or WordPad.
Save documents with a name on the desktop using 'Save As' command.
12. VOLUNTEER ASSISTANT HEAD-TEACHER
If you are interested in getting a different kind of managerial experience and you've always wanted to do volunteering job overseas, this opportunity would suit you well. Your duties as a volunteer assistant head teacher will be to assist the head teacher with the day-to-day running of the school as well as with planning and adopting strategies to improve the school in all aspects — general school administration work. Some of your other duties will be drafting newsletters and other types of everyday school correspondence, keeping a record of the income and expenditure; administering any scholarships or bursaries to beneficiary pupils...
13. VOLUNTEER CONFLICT-RESOLUTION SCRIBE
We need volunteers to document and offer input at our community-based Conflict-Resolution Workshops. These workshops are twiice-weekly meetings with different groups in the community — where group members brainstorm on how to resolve conflicts in the community. They also discuss ways to maintain and sustain the peace in the pockets where there is apparent peace and harmony.
14. VOLUNTEER MICRO-CREDIT OFFICER
We are in need of volunteers to assist in the administration of one of a Micro-Credit organization. The economy of Ghana is dominated by small informal businesses. Many self-employed people just need a little big more capital injection into their businesses to make a big difference...